Back
A clear pixel

Mormon Menu

   Index
   History
   Nauvoo Exodus
   First Ferry
   Grand Encampment
   Mormon Battalion
   Nauvoo War Victims
   Cold Spring Camp
   Cutler's Park
   Winter Quarters I
   Florence Grist Mill
   Second Ferry
   Winter Quarters II
   Advance Company
   Mormon Trail
   Kanesville Town
   Kanesville Tabernacle
   Winter Quarters III
   Continued Passing
   Winter Quarters IV
   All on one page

Mormon Historical

   Orville M. Allen
   Ezra T. Benson
   Oliver Cowdery
   Orson Hyde
   Alexander Hunter
   J. E. Johnson
   Thomas L. Kane
   Heber C. Kimball
   Jesse Little
   Amasa Lyman
   Henry W. Miller
   James Murdock
   John Neff
   Orson Pratt
   Parley P. Pratt
   Dr. Willard Richards
   George A. Smith
   Joseph Smith
   Mary Fielding Smith
   Hyrum Smith
   Allan Taylor
   John Taylor
   Jacob Weber, Sr.
   Lyman Wight
   Wilford Woodruff
   Brigham Young

May
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   

A small calendar that is a link to a calendar layout view.
Morn. Twilight: 5:24 A.M.
Sunrise: 5:57 A.M.
Sunset: 8:44 P.M.
Duration: 14h, 47m
Eve. Twilight: 9:16 A.M.
Visibile Light: 15h, 51m

"Cutler's Park"

Located near Mormon Bridge Road and Young Street. ((Google Maps and Satellite maps logo))

On August 7th or 8th, 1846, the Mormons created Nebraska's first and shortest-lived planned community, complete with a governing council, and even a police force.  The settlement was three to four miles to the west of present day Florence along what is now known as the Mormon Bridge Road and just south of Young Street.*

Approximately twenty days later (Aug 25th), about 150 Indian chiefs and braves of the Omaha/Ottawa/Chippewa and Oto/Missouri natives came to collect rent for staying on their land.  Brigham Young, the leader of the Mormons (though not President of the Mormon Church at the time) met with the Indians.  A war nearly broke out when the Omaha/Ottawa/Chippewa natives were offered the same rent as the Oto/Missouri natives.  The Omaha/Ottawa/Chippewa natives had only been in the area since 1843 (three years earlier)* but the Oto/Missouri had been in the area since the 1700s.  At that point, the Church leaders made an agreement with Big Elk, chief of the Omaha nation, to live on land closer to the Missouri River.  Immediately, camp was moved back to the area known now as Florence.  By September 11th, 1846 Cutler's Park had been completely vacated.

T.O.C.          Next