Nauvoo War Victims
Cold Spring Camp
Winter Quarters I
Florence Grist Mill
Winter Quarters II
Winter Quarters III
Winter Quarters IV
All on one page
Orville M. Allen
Ezra T. Benson
J. E. Johnson
Thomas L. Kane
Heber C. Kimball
Henry W. Miller
Parley P. Pratt
Dr. Willard Richards
George A. Smith
Mary Fielding Smith
Jacob Weber, Sr.
In 1880, the mill was converted to steam. The sawmill and grist mill operation ended when the mill was converted to a roller mill for production of flour.
In 1915, the mill was converted from a flour producing mill to a grain mill. A grain elevator was added to support the operation.
In 1923, electric power replaced the steam powered operations.
Though no longer dependant on the water power, the mill remained in its original location at 9124 North 30th St on the south side of Turkey Creek, now being called Mill Creek. When the creek waters rose, the mill was subjected to periodic flooding. In 1932, a major flood damaged the mill but it survived and continued operations. In 1937, it survived a hailstorm The same year, the mill was flooded to a depth of 14 feet.
In 1939, after a lawsuit with the city, the mill was moved east about 400 feet to higher ground (to its current location at 9102 N. 30th St). Turkey Creek was diverted underground to the Missouri River. During the move, wooden pegs such as were used in the construction of the Mormon Tabernacle in Salt Lake City were discovered. It is presumed the wooden pegs are from the original construction 92 years earlier (1847).
From 1943 to 1945 the mill was closed while the owner, Lyman Weber, served in the armed forces during World War II.
In 1964, the Interstate Highway system was making plans to use the Mormon Bridge as part of the Interstate 80 bypass. The Florence Grist Mill was too close to the construction area and would have to be bulldozed as part of the clearing operation. The Kenwood Feed Store in Florence owners, Ernest Harpster, Jr. and his wife Ruthie, saved the mill from the bulldozer and continued to operate the mill until 1989. After that time, it was used to store feed until 1998.
A new life started for the historic landmark when a local artist, Linda Meigs purchased the mill in 1998. Ms. Meigs' intention is to preserve the mill as a historical museum, educational site, and art gallery.
- 1998-2017 (and beyond)
The mill is a regular attraction during the summer months, and during the annual Florence Days Celebration. For the rest of the summer, the mill has an active Art gallery in addition to its own history story. On Sundays from June to the end of September, the mill is the location of a weekly Farmers Market. The Farmer's Market has grown, and has been a great success. In addition to having the standard fruits and vegetables Farmer's Market, there are weekly additions such as music groups, pony rides, petting zoos, crafts, and various other displays, education exhibitions, and other market happenings. Following the Farmer's Market that ends in the last week of September, the first week of October hosts an important stop of the annual North Hills Pottery Tour.
The mill is available for group tours any time of the year by calling 402-551-1233.